In some cases a large file selection (>1TiB or 1 million files) can cause CrashPlan to run out of memory and crash.
- When opening the desktop application, users see "Can't connect to Backup Engine" message.
- Application crashes repeatedly while scanning files.
- Unpredictable application behavior.
Adjusting the maximum amount of memory allocated to the CrashPlan service can resolve this.
|Backup Selection Size||Recommended Memory Allocation (MB)|
|Up to 1 TB or up to 1 million files||1024 (default)|
|1.5 TB or 1.5 million files||1536|
|2 TB or 2 million files||2048|
|2.5 TB or 2.5 million files||2560|
|3 TB or 3 million files||3072|
- Open the CrashPlan app
- Double-click the CrashPlan logo in the upper-right corner
- Enter the following command, using a value appropriate for the size of your backup selection (for example, 1536 for a 1.5 TB selection):
java mx 1536, restart
The CrashPlan app closes