In some cases a large file selection ( > 1TB or 1 million files) can cause CrashPlan to run out of memory and crash.
- When opening the desktop application, users see a "Can't connect to Backup Engine" message.
- Application crashes repeatedly while scanning files.
- Unpredictable application behavior.
Adjusting the maximum amount of memory allocated to the CrashPlan service can resolve this. For every 1TB file selection you require 1GB of RAM.
Before beginning please check the sample recommendations based on your file selection size (1024 per TB):
Up to 1 TB or up to 1 million files 1024 (default)
1.5 TB or 1.5 million files 1536
2 TB or 2 million files 2048
2.5 TB or 2.5 million files 2560
3 TB or 3 million files 3072
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Double-click the CrashPlan logo in the upper-right corner, or press Ctrl+Shift+C (Windows/Linux) or Option+Shift+C (Mac) on your keyboard.
- Enter the following command, using a value appropriate for the size of your backup selection (for example, 1536 for a 1.5 TB selection):
- java mx 1536, restart
- The CrashPlan app closes and restarts, fixing the issue.